top of page
  • Writer's pictureKate

Crossing my fingers that this works!

J. and I went to Vermont last weekend to enjoy the Brew Fest at Killington. It's something we do with our friends every year since we bought our home. There's a few times a year that we are ALL up there at our homes and last weekend was one of those times. I will write another post telling you all about the festival and the great beer we tried there!

There is always a gardening project that can be done. Some I let wait so I don't feel stressed and others have a timeline because of weather or because we know we won't be up in Vermont for a bit. What needed to be done last weekend couldn't be put off. It's October in Vermont which means it will be getting cold very soon.

We are doing some construction on the house in the form of a shored-up, more usable garage, and a new more prominent front entrance. Our front entrance right now comes into a mud/laundry/dog feeding room which really isn't all that welcoming for our friends and family. Stay tuned for a post and progress pics.

This is actually after we divided the five hostas

The demolition of certain areas meant that our contractor had to rip out some Hostas along one of the walls of our home. I am super grateful that he dug them out quite carefully, (thanks, Chris!) but am not sure how long they had been sitting there. Hence, the fingers crossed title.

There were five large Hostas whose name I do not know. They were planted there by the previous owners. They are a medium green with white edging on the leaves. If anyone can identify them I would be grateful to know what they are!

As always, J. did the heavy lifting so to speak. He divided the 5 plants into approximately 25 viable (I hope!) new plants. TWENTY-FIVE! They were set out on the lawn as we did not have time Sunday morning before we left to dig an entirely new bed. We also didn't have the energy. Did I mention we had been to an amazing beer festival the day before? Ha!

The beginning of a new bed

He dug, and I furiously planted. We will be working on this "bed" going forward taking it back to the edge of the woods where we hope to uncover, eventually, the beautiful rock wall that runs along the edge of our property.

We were able to plant and fertilize each division with some Espoma Bio-Tone fertilizer which will give the plants time to grow nice, healthy roots.

I cut the leaves of the plants back before putting them into the ground. I think it will allow them to focus their energy into root production rather than sending energy to their leaves. I will mulch them next time we are up before it freezes to help protect the tender new plants.

Fingers crossed that this is the start of a beautiful new shade garden in Vermont!


29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page